Saturday, November 24, 2012

Little House Booking [Meet Dawn]


Have a local band? Looking for places to play? Little House Booking can help you! Dawn Oliver is the founder of Little House Booking and as a lover of local music, I had some questions for her about how she got started in the booking business. Here's what she had to say. Enjoy!

NOTE: All Dawn's answers are REAL and appear exactly as she typed them.


1. How did “Little How Booking” come to be?


I began booking in June 2011. I booked my own birthday show with 7 local and out of state bands. We had a backyard stage built, two kegs,... it was pretty epic. Since then, I got involved with organizing shows, networking with bands and other bookers. The company fully launched in mid December. The experience has been nothing short of amazing.
2. How did it get its name?


"Little House Booking" originated from local house shows in the area. I used to put on a couple of backyard shows at my friend's house. We would call the place "The Wolfhouse." It pretty much established its name through that (minus the fact that I am a little person myself.) Our shows are little, but that's a whole different story. We have a lot of heart.
3. How long have you been booking?
It'll be one year next month (December).
4. Where do you book?
We are expanding but currently in Atlantic City, and Gloucester City.
5. What kind of shows/bands do you book?
All kinds. All genres. As a booker, I have to be open to all types of music. My ears are always open, and I always give everyone a chance.
6. How can a band be booked by you?
They can visit our Facebook athttp://www.facebook.com/littlehousebooking or email us at LittleHouseBooking@gmail.com.
7. What’s your favorite venue to book?
My current favorite venue to book is Le Grand Fromage in Atlantic City since I have been booking there the longest. The owner and I have established a pretty solid friendship, and he does me a ton of favors. We make a great team.
8. Have you met any big name bands in the booking process?
We currently deal with a lot of smaller acts and bands at the moment, but the biggest names I have dealt with so far in a years time is Steve Soboslai from Punchline, Joe Jack from Dead Milkmen, Major League, and Such Gold. I definitely hope to work with more bigger acts in the future. We are just starting off, so it definitely will take some time.
9. Has anyone who you’ve booked gone on to bigger and better things?
I've seen some of the bands we've booked play big festivals such as Warped Tour. Our shows are just a small stepping stone for these bands. We hope they gain some kind of exposure out of it, network with each other, and eventually grow to be something big. They are all definitely capable of it.
10. How long have you been doing this/How old were you when you started?
Since December 2011. 24 years old.
11. Where can my readers find Little House Booking online?
12. Do you have any final thoughts for my readers/any words of wisdom to up and coming bands?
This is our passion. This is what we love to do. Come out to a show, and see for yourself why we choose to do this. Open your ears to the local bands, because they are just as good as these bands that you hear on the radio, or on TV. They deserve your support and your attention. We provide you with the opportunity to hear them. Please, support your local scene, and please come out to a show to witness it for yourself. You won't regret it.

I encourage you to contact Dawn and Little House Booking if you're interested in playing in Atlantic or Gloucester City. Dawn booked Jocelyn (Harasstronauts) at Le Grand Fromage a few times and I really cannot thank her enough for doing so. The shows are a lot of fun. You should definitely check them out! For more information on shows, go like LHB on Facebook!

Thank you Dawnie for doing this interview with me and for booking Harasstronauts. Keep doing what you're doing. You're great at it and your shows are a lot of fun. :]

Remember, SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC!
-BlairieLouHoo




No comments:

Post a Comment