Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Ted T. Slape
September 8, 1957 - November 15, 2012

Well, Papa Slape, I've tried to write this several times, but I can never make it through. I'm determined this time, though. This is going to be written a little differently than the blog I wrote for Wendy and her family. Yours is going to be in letter form. I figured you would like that. Wish me luck. Here goes.

Papa Slape,
I'm not sure where to start. I met you when I was 17 years old and Senior in high school with Tyler. I will never forget the first time I met you. I walked in the door and you had a HUGE smile on your face and welcomed me into your home without hesitation.
"Hi! I'm Blair," I said.
"I've heard a lot about you. Boy you're tall! Well, come on in. I'm making hamburgers," you replied.
"Oh, that's okay. I don't really like hamburgers, Mr. Slape."
"Who's Mr. Slape? My name's Ted and you'll like my hamburger. I put cheese in the middle! I'll make you one anyway."
So, you made me a burger anyway and in true Blair fashion, I took it because I wanted to be polite. Well, I ended up eating the entire thing. It was delicious and when I told you so you looked at me in a way I'll never forget and simply said, "I told you."
And that was it. That was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. From that moment on, I was a Slape. You took me in and treated me like one of the family. I came over all the time and helped you with as much as I possibly could and in turn, you were like a father to me. You helped me through so much and taught me more than I could ever repay. I'll never forget the day we went to Bob Evan's for breakfast and you bought me the light up rubber ducky for my car. I'll never forget going to the movies with you guys. I'll never forget going to J.C.Penny and picking out what Brandan was going to wear to his (second) 8th grade dance. I'll never forget the birthday where you all made me a cake and sang to me. I'll never forget going to the prom with Tyler, meeting/approving Brendan's many girlfriends, and doing Ashley's hair. I'll never forget the open door policy where I could walk in whenever I wanted without knocking and I'll never forget how you always noticed when there was something different about me. Whether it be my hair color or cut or a piercing or tattoo or new shoes, you always noticed and complimented me, even if you didn't really like it. You just liked to be supportive. You were always supportive, no matter what. You embraced me for who I was and never wanted me to be anything I wasn't. You taught me that I wasn't broken or damaged because of my anxiety and that I could overcome it because I was a strong woman. Truthfully, if you hadn't always told me that, I don't know if I would believe it as much as I do today. My anxiety disorder may have taken over my life by now, who knows? But you were determined not to let that happen. You wanted to see me succeed. I'm sorry you didn't get to see me go as far as you would have liked, but I know you're proud of me and you'll always be proud of me. I'll miss baking you cookies for Christmas and bringing you flowers for Easter and mounds and almond joys on your birthday. I'll miss you living near by. I'll miss your smile, your laugh, and your support. I'll miss you. I know that Tyler, Brendan, Ashley and I and even Steve and Matt and all the other kids' lives you touched will never be without you. You will always be in our hearts, every minute of everyday, until we see you again. I would like to take this opportunity to publicly make you a promise. You always called me your oldest daughter and I always considered myself to be a big sister to Ashley and Brendan, but lately I've been slacking in that department. Well, that stops now. From this second on I promise you that I will be the very best big sister to them that I can possibly be, no matter what. They're in good hands. You raised Tyler to be one hell of an adult and if anyone can fill your shoes, I know he can. Your should be very proud of the man he's turned into. I know I am.

Basically, Papa Slape, what I'm trying to say is that I'm really going to miss you and I know a lot of other people are, too. You had the biggest heart of anyone I ever knew and you loved everybody, but I didn't really realize until today how many people appreciated and reciprocated that love. You were a truly great man and I'm happy to have known you. Rest easy, Papa Bear. I love you.


Love always your oldest daughter,
-Blair <3


Papa Slape, Annie, Tyler, Ashley and Brendan. Tyler's high school graduation. June 2009.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Blair, this was very beautiful. Your words will help the children.

    ReplyDelete