Tuesday, November 13, 2012

"Save the partying for when you're famous." [Harasstronauts Update!]


Remember Jocelyn and her one girl band, Harasstronauts? Well, Coffee With Apollo came around again just this passed Friday and Jocelyn played 2 of her original songs! She has grown so much and greatly improved since I first heard her play that Regina Spektor cover of "On The Radio" a year ago. She's much more confident musically now and it shows. I asked Jocelyn if I could do an update interview with her and here's what she had to say about her musical endeavors. 

NOTE: All Jocelyn's answers are REAL and appear just as she typed them. They have not been edited what so ever.

1. Why do you call yourself ‘Harasstronauts’?
In all honestly, there is this huge deep meaning to the word. I didn’t actually think of the name until later into having it. I originally chose the name just because it was a cool play on of words. But now Harasstronauts means this: The music and the sound I play is very alien to people when they first hear it. It’s not something they expect to hear from a teenage girl. Aliens, to me, are just lonesome astronauts harassing the human race. Not to mention my music is very spacey and science-fiction sounding!

2. What kind of music do you play?
I play a mix of Dream-Core and Synth-Pop. Its kinda like Crystal Castles and Ellie Goulding mixed together.


3. Where is you dream venue?
I haven’t ever taken the time to think about that, really. I dream of touring, but just to whatever venue I can get. If I had to say, it would probably be Webster Hall in NYC. I just want to play lots of outdoor events with bands who are like me.

4. How long have you been writing music?
Only a little over a year. I’ve always been creative and able to draw. I discovered my talent for musicianship when I was 16. I started covering songs on an electric keyboard. Everything just went on from there. It’s actually kind of weird to think how far I have come in that tiny amount of time. 

5. Tell me about your latest single, ‘Crimson Hands’.
Every time I play this song for someone, they will ask if it’s about cutting. After a while, it gets old. The song is really about unwillingly losing my innocence starting when I was just in 6th grade. It kind of revolves around family situations and things that I was unaware of. In a nutshell, it is about my maturity and how I have handled a lot of situations since then.

6. Do you have any upcoming shows?
My next show is in Atlantic City at Le Grand Fromage on November 20th. Besides that, I haven’t booked myself for anywhere. I’ve been really busy with recording. But my goal is at least one show per month.

7. When will your album be released?
I am working my hardest at the moment to get all my tracks finished. I want to have it released before the end of summer 2013. If not, I’ll be trying to finish while I’m in college and I know I won’t have any time to dedicate to the album.

8. Where can my readers go to listen to your music?
They can visit my soundcloud and my youtube. I only really have live stuff and some demo releases, but most of it gets the point of my music across

9. What can my readers expect from you in the future?
I am REALLY trying to pull together a weekly vlog, I had one going for a little but I began to run out of significant and relative things to talk about. I am also going to try to put out a 4-piece EP as soon as possible so I can send it out to bands to see if I can get a tour together before I go away to college. I’m not sure yet. I think I’m just getting my hopes up.

10. Any closing thoughts for my readers?
Don’t do drugs. Stay in school, accept everyone. No seriously. I followed all three of those and I’ve turned out great. Save the partying for when you’re famous.

I'm so proud of Jocelyn and I'm so glad that I get to experience this journey with her and see her grown and improve. In addition to keyboard, she also recently taught herself guitar and played one of her songs acoustically at Coffee With Apollo. Please be sure to check her out if you haven't already, subscribe to her youtube channel and keep checking here for updates on her and her musical career. I expect great things from this girl. 

Below is a video from Coffee With Apollo of Jocelyn performing her latest single,
Crimson Hands.

-BlairieLouHoo





Harasstronauts - Crimson Hands
November 9, 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment